Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Imagine with me for a moment...



I have started painting Eden's (10) room. I had great visions of the end result. The quilt set I bought is green, yellow and white strips. Lovely and fresh. It reminded me of Spring, very light and airy. I took the sham with me to match paint. We picked out 'Darlin' Clementine green' (aren't clementines orange?) and 'Corncob yellow'. Do you have a visual? Good.

It all started out great. I got a fresh coat of white paint on the ceiling and trim. Ahhh...clean and crisp! Then I started to trim out the yellow. My first thought was 'Hmm...this is really yellow' After the yellow was painted I started with the green. I think it was mis-named. It should have been called 'Oh my hayday! This is really really green. Like neon LIME GREEN!'

It reminded me of a few years ago when I bought a new brown bed set for my bedroom. I wanted it to be relaxing and peaceful. So I bought some blue paint to go with the brown. I was wanting the spa type of thing. That is not what I got. My ever-so-decorator-savy sister in law came over and saw it and said "This is like a Blues' Clues kinda blue." Not exactly what I was going for. Not exactly at all.

When my mom saw it she told me I should always keep my blinds closed becasue it looked so tacky from the outside. Thanks mom. We lived with Blues's Clues for a year until my mom brought me over a 5 gallon bucket of bland brown paint that she got at Lowe's for $5 and said 'Here, my gift to you.' I think she really hated that blue.

I have come to the conclusion that I am good at picking neutral colors like taupe, beige, brown, etc. But I probably should stay away from the bold bright hues.

One a positive note Eden loves it! It is bright, vibrant and screams 10 YEAR OLD! I wonder if it will scream 11 YEAR OLD or even 12 YEAR OLD?

7 comments:

Everyday is a new day said...

That is pretty funny.

I agree with Eden, I love bright colors also. It's funny how paint looks one way when you buy it, then another when you start to paint. That happened to us when we painted my moms Kitchen and Family room. I think we went back and forth from the store about 5 times in one day to get just the right color.

Carol said...

Good thing Eden loves it! Now all you have to do is buy a quilt to match! ;)

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

Colors are HARD! I have the same problem. At least Eden likes it, and really, that's all that matters...sort of :)

Christy said...

I'm glad to hear that Eden loves it! Getting the right color of paint is hard! There are some rooms in our house that I have painted 4-5 times in the last 6 years! And some of them were pretty bad! One color was so bad that Tim wouldn't talk to me for a couple of days! I finally found the perfect color and will probably never paint again. :)

Demara said...

I LOVE bright colors! We just bought a really bright orange, neon green and I believe it has some bright yellow in it too-comforter for our spare room.

We get a couple Japanese students this summer-so we had to get them new bedding.

I think it looks so Spring-like!

I'm sure he'll love his room color for the next couple years-especially if he loves bright colors!

Wendi said...

I can't wait to see her room, your very creative so i'm sure it will look cool. Remember dominiques orange and pink in her room turned out super bright too. I grows on you after awhile.

Tricia said...

I am glad she likes it only if I were you ( I know you're happy I'm not!!!) I'd be thinking I hope she likes it at 13, 14, 15... I told Timmary we'd redo her room when she's 12, but I might decide to when she's eleven instead. I hope to see it someday and you should see Delaney's too!