Tuesday, August 5, 2008

This and that

Today was day two of Vacation Bible School. I feel like I am totally getting off easy since I am just helping with crafts. I am sure I feel that way because I totally am getting off easy.


Doesn't that just make you feel like you are visiting the islands? Me either.

In other news...
Ron is sick. Too many weeks of going at the speed of life has caught up with the old man.

School is just around the corner. Very exciting stuff around here. Emma is starting high school so I am trying to make sure that we have all our ducks in a row. I have met with an advisor a couple times already. It seems not only are we doing OK, but we are a bit ahead of the game. This is a great relief to me as the teacher. Books are starting to arrive via the big brown van. I love opening the new packages and seeing all the great books with hopeful anticipation. This year we will be schooling a 9th grader, 6th grader, 5th grader and a 2nd grader. I am excited to try a couple new things this year. Back to school always reminds me of a line in the movie 'You've Got Mail' that talks about a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils and the smell of scotch tape.

I have been thinking about getting back into routine and schedule. In someways I am looking forward to it and in other ways I feel like the summer past too quickly. Even though there are only a few weeks left of summer I want to really enjoy them. Jamie has inspired me to get out the fire pit (that we have had for the past year yet never used) and roast some marshmallows. Yum.

Thursday night some blogger girls are going out to dinner in honor of our international blogging friend who is here visiting. It should be lots of fun. I am really looking forward to it. So any of you lurkers that are reading have til Thursday to become bloggers, then you are invited to come along. ;o) If you are reading this Ginger, we will miss you.

7 comments:

Tricia said...

Sounds like you're getting ready for the changes of fall! I hope you enjoy the last weeks before it all starts over again (schedules, that is)!

I am so looking forward to going out Thursday!!!

Carol said...

I am sorry to hear Ron is sick... Poor guy =(

That is great that you are "ahaed of the game" for Emma's Schooling. She is so smart and talented, it will be exciting to watch God work in her life over the next 4 years of highschool. I know I have said it before but I will say it again. She (Emma) is so blessed to have a Mom that is so involved in her life and she feels safe to go to about anything. Yup, she is one blessed young lady! ;)

kim said...

I can only imagine how fun those shipments must be. I love school supplies (probably more than the school involving them). Fun!

I am so looking forward to Thursday night also! It will be strange not to be typing...

Beth said...

I know just how you feel about looking forward to the structure that the school year brings, but also wanting to enjoy the remaining days of summer. I can't imagine trying to coordinate 4 different grade levels at a time... 2 just about did me in last year.

Jeanine said...

Summer is going by WAY too quickly for us, too! Faith starts preschool this year so I will now have to "school-aged" children and that is going to take some time to sink in for me, especially on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings from 9 to 11:30 AM!

Enjoy your "blogger night out" on Thursday. I so wish I could meet all of you. Have fun and make sure you blog your fun night together for the rest of us!

Wendi said...

Hey, I'm back! its wednesday night. Thanks for getting my mail etc. Did I miss anything? I am ready to go walking tomorrow morning!

Jamie said...

Have you roasted marshmallows yet? We are really enjoying that family time together.

I too am ready for the structure that the school year brings, but I want to soak in these moments with my kiddos.

Enjoy the get-together tonight! I would love to go, but for the sake of my family I think it would be best if I sit this one out.