Friday, April 25, 2008

The Road Less Traveled...


I took the road less traveled by and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost



On a whim the other day at Costco I picked up
You matter more than you think; what a woman needs to know about the difference she makes by Leslie Parrott The title and pretty cover caught my eye. This is a struggle that I continually cycle through. Does what I do day to day really matter? Most of the time it seems to me that anyone could do what I do, and probably much better.

I usually steer away from the Message but I thought this was good.
Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don't be impressed with yourself. Don't compare yourself with others. Each off you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life. Gal 6:4&5 The Message
In the NIV it says in verse 5 'each one should carry his own load'.

Creative best? What is that? The author goes on to say 'We do our creative best with our lives whenever we set out on a consciously chosen course of action that accents the good of others.'

I thought this was good too: 'The road less traveled is ultimately found in the heart. It's found in the heart of every woman who wants her life to make a difference and realizes that the difference is found, quite simply in love.' And also this: 'Geography has little to do with the difference you make. What matters is that you are making the best use of your life by loving the people in it.'

I think what God is trying to teach me in this is that MY road less traveled is a completely different road or journey than anyone else's. It is less traveled because it is only my road. My road consists of people and situations that He puts before me. My family certainly, but also others. My neighbors (not yours), even though our friends may be the same my relationship and how I love them will be different than how you do. This is my road, my journey. By loving them well, that makes all the difference.

I remember talking with Jamie about our individual journeys one time. She made it sound so simple to let each one live their own journey. Travel their own path with the Lord. Not try to make my journey yours or vise versa. Of course she said it much more eloquently than I could ever. But the thought has stuck with me.

I want to enjoy my journey on this road less traveled. Not envy your road or covet the flowers you have lining your path. If God has given me, created for me, this particular road I should be satisfied with it. Not wanting to change course or scenery. But sometimes I do. I need to work on that. Contentment.

4 comments:

Carol said...

Bloom where you are planted... So the saying goes. It is hard not to compare our lives to others and question Gods design on our lives. I find myself in that position as well. It seems I am either coveting someone elses life or I am having the attitude, "If only everyone would just do it how I think they should, all would be right with the world!" ;) Guess we still have some growin to do my friend. I am just glad God loves me even when I am crunchy!

Tricia said...

I think we all need to work on that. I am fine, for a while, and then slip once again. I guess when we think of our discontentment or contentment, we could maybe think of each other and pray that our friends will be content in their situations. Like you said, each life is different and special, and each of us should appreciate these differences, whatever blessings God gives along the way...

Jamie said...

Great post Jill...and I'm not just saying that cause you mention me. You should check out
lisa-writes.blogspot.com
She has an excellent post today titled "No Greater Calling" It goes along perfectly with your post. Thanks for the reminder to just be me, and follow the path that God has just for me.

Lynda said...

You are an amazing person, and you do a lot that others could not do. You are doing a wonderful job with your children, and I am so glad that you are taking care of Grace when her mommy is at work.