Monday, October 13, 2008

Lots of laughs ;o)

I had a great weekend away. The conference was not exactly what I expected or looking for but it was still good. The best part of the weekend was the girl time. We had lots of fun walking, looking, shopping and laughing. It was great to be able to have some complete conversations with out any interruptions from little ones (or big ones). I found a couple great deals on somethings I needed which is always fun.

I had my first experience of public transportation. I think I may have rode our local bus a time or two when I was in Jr. High, but that is the extent of my green-riding. The girls talked me into riding the Max in Portland, Or. We were going downtown to Saturday Market. When we stepped on the Max there were only three available seats so I was going to stand. There was a friendly gentleman that offered to let me sit on his lap for the ride and I nervously declined. He said he was just trying to show a little southern hospitality (Aren't we in the Northwest?) but it did give us all a good laugh. I think it gave the other girls a better laugh than me though. My laugh was a little nervous.

I was amazed at the number of young homeless people. I was thinking about that song I posted a time or two ago "Give Me Your Eyes" when a young man came and asked me for a fry that I was eating. Then a young girl, no more than 14, asked if I would give her whatever I didn't eat. It made me so sad to think of the situations and choices that brought them to this spot.

At first I thought "This is the real world", but I don't know that is all correct. It is certainly reality for downtown Portland Oregon and many other places in the US and around the world, and I know there are homeless in my community on a much smaller scale. In may corner of the world the hurting and needy look a little different. Maybe it is the family I know that is falling apart, or maybe the neighbor that is struggling to put food on the table, or maybe the mom I know that needs a friend. That is the Real World too. I need to be more deliberate in looking at people the way God sees them and finding how God would like me to partner with Him. It is all the real world, just some parts are more raw and astonishing than others.

Thank you Beth, Jamie and Kelly for a great time!! I really appreciate your friendship, you are each special treasures to me! Thank you for putting up with me and my quirks. I am sure I am like fish and after a few days...pew!

Hopefully Kelly will be joining our blogworld soon. ;o)


4 comments:

Wendi said...

Sounds like you guys had a great time. I know it was probably much needed time away. What did you guys buy shopping? You'll have to tell me tomorrow.
Glad to have you back! I'm sure your family missed you tons!

Carol said...

I so wish I could have seen the look on your face when that guy "offered" his lap. I get sarcastic when I am nervous, so I would have said, "No, a true southern gentleman would have stood and offered the lady his seat." ;) Still, it cracks me up to think of the look on your face... LOL!

I am sorry the conference was not exactly what you were looking for, but I know you ladies probably gave eacother what you really needed anyway and it was worth the trip! =)

Cyndi said...

"It is all the real world, just some parts are more raw and astonishing than others."

I totally agree. And it is in those moments (like going to a conference that turns out to not be what you needed/expected it to be) where God shows you what you need to see sometimes. And in the mean time, some good laughs with great friends, which you definitely need! I'm glad you had a great weekend, you deserved it!!

Ginger said...

I am totally out of the loop since I don't know what happened on your trip, but I do know that I would have thoroughly enjoyed just spending time with you guys! I'm glad you were able to go. It sounds like it was another experience for the books!