Sunday, September 7, 2008

Monday Menus



I am going to try something new this month (starting next week ;o)). I was reading my new Gooseberry Patch cookbook that I picked up this week at Costco and it suggested to give each day of the week a theme. I had read this before from Rachel Anne at Home Sanctuary (check out her other ideas for meal planning on her side bar). I am thinking this will help simplify my meal planning. The thought is to give each day a theme of something that your family enjoys. For us it will be Mexican, Italian, Breakfast, Soup & Salad (or sandwich) and I am still thinking on the other two, maybe a casserole night? We always have dinner at church on Wed nights so that makes only 6 I need to figure out. Sunday night will definitely be something in the crock-pot since we are at church all afternoon. Emma has started a cooking class and is required to make 3 meals a week for her family; a breakfast, lunch and a dinner, so I am trying to help her come up with good and easy meals to make.

The weather and our schedules are changing a little. Football, church, school and lessons are all in full swing. We really try to make eating dinner as a family a priority but Monday and Wednesday nights are impossible. Monday will be crock-pot night and Wednesday we eat at church.

Monday: Fall Harvest Chowder
Tuesday: Hot Chicken Sandwiches
Wednesday: Roast beef & Mashed potatoes (church meal)
Thursday: Spaghetti, salad & bread
Friday: Roast beef sandwiches (thank you Tricia)
Saturday: Chicken soup

Fall Harvest Chowder (slow cooker)
1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 C chopped onion
4 C water
1 C carrots
1 C diced celery
1 C cubed potato
1 can (28 oz) diced tomatos
1 can (8 oz) tomato puree
1 t. salt
1/4 t pepper
1/4t crushed bay leaf
1 1/2 t Italian seasoning
6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high

Hot Chicken Sandwiches (Gooseberry Patch Taste of Autumn)
2 1/2 - 3lbs chicken
6T butter
6T flour
1t salt
1/8 pepper
1/2c celery thinly sliced
12 sandwich buns
Boil chicken for1 hour. Reserve 2 1/2 c broth. Allow chicken to cook; remove skin & bones, shred meat. Melt butter in a sauce pan; whisk flour until smooth. Blend over low heat. Stir in broth, boil 1 min. Add salt, pepper. Stir in celery & chicken. Heat thoroughly; serve on toasted buns.

8 comments:

Nichole said...

Sounds like a yummy week! I've tried to do the theme approach, but I never stick with it for long. Good luck!

Daily-dabble.com said...

Hi there!

Just found your blog today on MPM.

Your menu sounds interesting. Especially the hot chicken sandwiches! Never heard of anything like that, I might just try that ;)

Have a great week!

Tricia said...

Your recipes sound great! Let me know how the chicken sandwiches are.

Hope you have a peaceful blessed day!!!

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

JUST today I sifted through my Gooseberry patch cookbooks (I have aout 15, my mother in law keeps getting me them) the only I use the most is called Quick & Easy :)

Yours sounds yummy!

Jeanine said...

I've been doing a "theme" night for the last several months and it works out great! However, now that my parents have moved in for a few months my mom and I have started alternating nights to cook. That works even BETTER! Good luck with the new approach...and your recipes sound yummy!

Jamie @ Purposeful Pursuit said...

Having themed nights seems like it would make menu planning all the easier. Monday & Wednesday are crazy at our house as well (and Tues. & Thurs. too during soccer season). The crock-pot gets a lot of use this time of year. I'll have to give those recipes a try...they sound good.

Carol said...

Great idea to do a theme... Mine may look like this:

Mexican- Taco Bell
Italian- Papa Johns
American- McDonalds
Southern Home Cookin – KFC


LOL! ;)

Christy said...

Those chicken sandwiches sound great! I will have to try out that recipe some time. Thanks for sharing!