Thursday, December 27, 2007

The week before New Year's

Christmas is over. Whew. Christmas brings out the best and worst of my children. This year I saw our son really enjoy the spirit of giving. You see I have a rule, you have to buy a gift for each of your siblings...I don't care if it is a pack of tic-tacs but you have to get each of your siblings something with your own money. In years past that is exactly what Eli (11) would do, get whatever cost him the least (least effort, least money). This year with the help of our family's new friend Carol Eli really got into the spirit of giving and really thought about what his family would like. That was a blessing on Christmas morning to see him just as excited to give as to get, well, almost as excited to give. Hey, it is progress. I also saw the kids playing well with each other. Enjoying each other's company with games, movies, and books. There were moments I thought 'Wow, we must be doing something right'. And then there were other times.

The bickering increased. Short tempers appeared (including mine). Impatience reared it's ugly head. Greediness showed up.

I think Christmas has a way of heightening all things. Sights, sounds and smells are abundant so the senses are overloaded. It brought out the best and worst of all of us. It brought the dross to the surface. I think this is a good thing especially going into a new year. This time of year I start thinking over New Year's Resolutions and what I would like to see happen in my family and in myself. I don't have a long list, just a few things I want to work on and a few things for us to work on as a family. Last year my resolution for myself was to be more hospitable. To use my home to welcome others and make them feel loved. At a ladies retreat in fall of 2006 the Lord told me I needed to work on this area. It was fun to think over the past year and how many times we had people in our home. I hope they left with a feeling of love, welcome and warmth.

I am not sure what 2008 holds for us but I do know the ONE that holds it.

No comments: