Monday, December 17, 2007

Meal Planning? Yeah, right.



Two weeks ago my hubby got the surprising diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes. I totally didn't see that one coming. He had not been feeling all that well for a few months which we explained away with his summer schedule and then jumping right into a big production at church. Long story short...he has diabetes. God has a funny sense of humor because I has just talked at a parent meeting a few days before about meal planning, ha.

This diagnosis has not changed what we eat all that much. A few years back we had an overhaul and got rid of all processed foods and went to a more whole food diet. I am sure that the Lord was preparing us for this. I am not all that thrilled with our nutritionist who has told us not to worry what kind of carb we are eating just count carbs including processed yucky ones. So we are learning a little each day on how his body responds to different kinds of carbs. This is lots of fun for him especially this time of year with all the goodies that we are receiving from church members.

The meal planning has been simple and a bit boring. Lots of chicken breasts, veggies, salad, a little bread and a little fruit. I am hoping to expand more in the coming weeks.

3 comments:

Lori said...

God never gives us more than we can endure...
but, I have to say that it blew me away, as well.
interesting to see God's fingerprints in this one, though, your change in eating habits, your recent meal planning thing.....
oh, I bought you/Ron a magazine for diabetic meal planning!
Goodie, just what you wanted!
I'll bring it to dinner tonight.
see ya,

Lori
;0)

Kim said...

I'm sorry to hear this, Jill...is this the diabetes that can be controlled by diet or does he have to take insulin? I will be praying for him and you as you plan a healthy diet for him. My brother in law had a scare with this a few years ago...he was seeing double vision and almost passed out...since then he has been on a very healthy strict diet and lots of exercise! He was borderline diabetic. Now everything is under control through his diet. We are very thankful....they check his blood sugar daily now.

How did he get diagnosed? What symptoms was he having?

Ginger said...

I will continue to pray for both of you. I know it will be difficult. Thankfully, God is gracious and does prepare us for things, doesn't He? It's good to know that He has a plan, He cares, and He wants what is best for us.

Did you find a recipe program that counts carbs?

Ginger