Friday, June 22, 2012

Counting

"Comparison is the thief of joy".

 So true.  A theif that I welcome in with unlocked doors and open arms if I am honest with myself. 

Come on in.  Let me get out the measuring stick.  Oops.  See that?  I am just a little short.

How amazing would it be if I just lived my life the way God designed it to be?  Instead I find myself like the Star Bellied Sneeches comparing and counting stars on thars.  Rarely does the comparison thief come in the form of materialism.  Things don't attract me like they used to.  No it is comparing your children against mine.  Your spiritual walk against mine.  Your fulfillment in your job against mine.  Your service against mine.  Your commitment against mine.  The theme is you against me. 

These things ought not be.

Jamie has a written great post. This is a lesson that I have learned before.  Yet, I find myself re-learning it again and again.  God is a unique Creator.  Multifaceted.  Each of us are created uniquely with a unique purpose with unique gifts.  Yet, we look at each others "stars" and let it snatch our joy.  Really, we give it away.  I choose to want your "star" and forget what "stars" are uniquely mine.  I feel that my stars are inadequate or don't count for much. When the truth is your stars are just for you.  Your stars would not "fit" me.  I am the mom God has designed for my children.  I am the wife designed for my husband.  I am the friend designed for you.  It is like trying to fit into someone else's skinny jeans.  Not good.  Yet, I try.  I am joining into the pact with Jamie.  To be the best me and let you be the best you.  To live for the audience of One.

Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your hands just as we told you.  So that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependant on anyone.
1 Thessalonians 4:11

No comments: